Tuesday, January 10, 2012

SuperWoman: a pyjamas-party & first fruits!

Looking back on the past year of course makes me look back too on the work we did at community center Casa Semear; and one of the first things that comes to mind is the SuperWoman program for teen girls. As many of you might know, in the beginning of 2011 I started a special, weekly program for teen girls; a dynamic, interactive program called SuperWoman, developed by Youth for Christ Holland, which includes all kinds of subjects relevant & interesting to teen girls. Among other things, we talked about family relationships, inner & outer beauty, feelings, talents, friendship, sexuality & boys, our life stories & our future. 

 
We started the year with 20 teens and finished it with 16; even though it wasn´t always a very stable group (sometimes girls would drop out and others would be added to the group), together we managed to create a positive and more importantly, a safe atmosphere. Slowly openness and trust developed, new friendships were created and old ones strengthened. We had great times together, a lot of fun, but also some serious moments and challenging talks. It was great to see how everybody was so excited about it; not just the girls, but I myself would wait anxiously for every next Tuesday! It is such a privilege to be able to invest in these girls´ lives & to share a little bit of my life and experience with them. I really enjoyed it! And I hope so did they…

 






In the last months of the year I specifically invested time in short Bible studies at the beginning of each SuperWoman program. The majority of the girls didn´t really know the gospel yet and only a few of them come from Christian backgrounds. We spent time talking about God as our Creator, our Savior, Father and Lord. We read the Bible together and studied God´s plan of salvation, while I (and the rest of the team) prayed constantly that God would reveal Himself to these girls… I did my very best to get through to them, but I knew very well that it´s God´s Spirit who changes hearts & lives… Oh how I longed to see these girls living their lives for God, how that would change their lives, enrich their lives! What joy and hope would they experience! True joy and true hope, so different from the joy and hope this world has to offer! I would imagine it… and many times I would pray for them with tears in my eyes… how I´ve come to love these girls!!



 


To finish the year together, I had planned a big pajamas-party at the end of November. For weeks I was busy with all the preparations and it turned out to be a huge party! We had so much fun together: only teen girls & the 3 ´aunties´ (Silvana, Dora and me)! We had a very full program: making a photo collage, eating pizza, lots of games, watching a movie, Christmas presents, a pyjamas fashion show, photo session, making Christmas cookies, a luxury breakfast & somewhere in between these things we had to try and get some sleep! ;0)



But the best moment came when Silvana during devotional time explained the gospel once again and 3 or 4 hands were raised with the same question: ´Auntie, I want to know how we can do this: accept Jesus… Because I really need Him in my life!´ Wow! That night 6 girls accepted Jesus into their hearts and lives! We spend time talking to them, praying together & crying out of joy because of what God was doing in their lives! It certainly was the greatest moment of 2011 for me! God hears our prayers and He is able and is ready to transform the lives of these kids who so often are so broken & give them new hope! 






In the following weeks we talked a lot more and thought about how to continue this journey together... Some of the girls came with the idea to use 20 minutes of the program on Friday for prayer! Great! So now regularly we have ´time with God´ as they like to call it, where we share things about our lives and pray together. With time I hope that all these girls will feel safe enough to really pray out loud in the group (something that still is new and scary for them right now). Besides this, we´ve done our best to get them into contact with a Baptist church nearby the community center, hoping that they will feel at home and become a part of this local church so that they´ll receive food, friendship and guidance. Things they really need. 


 

 













So 2011 was a great year when it comes to my work with teen girls!
I´m so excited to see what 2012 will bring us...


Dot



No comments:

Post a Comment